Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remember when....

Today should always be a day that we look back and remember what happened to our country and what could happen in the future if we are not careful. How easy it is to forget how we felt when things were at their worst when now things are seemingly better. Take the chance today out of respect for those lost to remember where you were that day and how you felt.

Here is my story...

September 11th 2001
Punto Fijo, Venezuela

I remember getting up like every other day as a fairly new missionary. I had been in Venezuela at this point for almost a month and I was feeling more confident with the language. One thing I noticed was that any time I could here a radio as we passed a house I couldn't always understand it because a radio announcer's voice is a lot different than listening to someone in person. My companion and I (Elder Martinez-from Boston) were headed over to an appointment we had in another area for a baptismal interview. I remember getting off the bus and walking by a bodega (little store) that had a radio on. I heard the announcer say something about a tower and a plane in New York. Thats all I understood. When we arrived at the house of the investigator he was shocked to see us there... he told us a plane flew into a tower in New York. We figured it was the air traffic control tower and thought it was a small prop plane. We left thinking it was a shame. When we arrived at the house of a member a few minutes later she was visibly upset. She said she had been crying about what happened in New York. We didnt react the way she thought we would so she asked us if we had seen what had happened. Of course we hadnt so she took us back to the TV room and showed us. I just remember being in shock seeing the towers on fire like that. Both towers by that point had been hit but had not fallen. I remember feeling patriotic and sad and nervous to be away from home all at the same time. Throughout the rest of our day we tried to catch glimpses of what was going on. I remember feeling really distracted that day. People would stop us in the street and apologize to us for what happened. When you are american in another country they assume you are directly affected by any news that comes from the states... in this case we were. The following days were different, we prayed as a mission for our home and for those affected by the attack. When more information came out about the attacks some chose to mock us. The retaliation and war that proceeded all happened while I was gone. Venezuela had its own share of political issues from month long strikes, riots, to overthrowing their president all of which made being away even more stressful. On my return flight home I remember feeling goosebumps when we flew over the american shoreline in Florida. We were all feeling pretty emotional to be back in the states since the attack. The majority of us stopped at a gift store in the airport and bought american flag lapel pins to show our reverence for being back in this great country.

Where were you? Please share your experience...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at marching band. When we found out what happened, I was confused and didn't know how to react. It wasn't until later that night that it hit me and cried. 9/11 started a lot crappy things in my life centering around politics and my family, so it's weird to reflect on that day and what happened because of it. Every year, my little brother and I have a "moment of silence" with candles to remember those we lost. All we can do is remember them. Thanks for posting about this!

Sandy said...

I was at school. I went to my class - LDS Perspectives in Psychology - and my teacher came in and cancelled class. He said that, under the circumstances, he felt it wasn't appropriate to discuss theoretical issues that weren't as important as what was happening. I had no idea what he was talking about, so I went to the Wilk to watch the TVs. Everyone was crowded around the screens. I couldn't see much, so I went home where my roommate was watching it on CNN. I was in shock as I stared and watched the first tower fall. All I remember for days was thinking that it couldn't be real.

Joyce said...

I was glued to the t.v. all day and most of the night, just unable to take it all in. It made me feel so vulnerable because things like that just hadn't happened before in OUR country. I have been more patriotic and grateful for our country ever since then. I felt bad that I didn't even have a block of time at school on Thursday to discuss it with my 3rd graders, but then wondered what I could say to them or how to explain it to them. Thanks for sharing YOUR experience, Brad.