Driving in Utah can be a very stressful thing. You have to always be on alert for people who aren't paying attention or who think they can make a u-turn anywhere. I would say that Utah is a great place but, I could do without their lack of "rill" (real) driving skills. I have wanted to blog so many times about different near misses I have had with people who have for example stopped on the freeway on ramp for no apparent reason... the usual lane drifter... and my favorite the u-turning big rigs. Apparently the Vatican released a list of commandments for drivers (very interesting) and someone in Utah apparently took it upon themselves to create the 10 commandments of driving in Utah. Here they are in order according to ksl.com
1. THOU SHALT BE MINDFUL OF FARM EQUIPMENT.
Are you kidding me? Farm equipment? Ok... you can have that one.
2. THOU SHALT SIGNAL BEFORE YOU TURN, EVEN IF YOU’RE THE POLICE.
I agree with this one but let me add, just because you throw on your blinker for 2 seconds doesnt mean you can come plowing over.. wait your turn.
3. THOU SHALT BE COURTEOUS ON THE ROADS, EVEN IF YOU’RE FROM CALIFORNIA.
This one really ticks me off... I know I am from California but, come on Californians are the best thing that has happened to Utah's roads. Take note on how we drive... CORRECTLY!
4. THOU SHALT NOT KILL.
5. THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ROAD RAGE.
Road rage wouldn't be such an issue if everyone followed the same rules... if someone has "raged" against you... ask yourself "did I deserve the lesson?" Chances are you did!
6. THOU SHALT ALLOW KIDS TO CROSS IN THE CROSSWALK.
No comment on cross walks... I agree... kids are super important. In fact they are so important that they need to be buckled in their seat belts. If you see parents allowing their kids to ride without seat belts you can call 800 887-5437 and this non profit organization will mail those people information about how important it is to have their kids buckled up... I don't care if you don't wear a seat belt... you are old enough to understand but, come parents buckle your kids in!
7. THOU SHALT BE RESPONSIBLE.
Yes this is the right idea... if you aren't following the rules of driving... yes there are certain rules to we can all drive at the same time... you are not being responsible.
8. THOU SHALT ALLOW PEOPLE TO MERGE.
You will be allowed to merge if you speed up to get on the freeway... 35 mph is not fast enough... you will be run over.
9. THOU SHALT STAY OFF THE TELEPHONE.
If you cannot handle operating a little cell phone and a big machine at the same time... and people are "road raging" against you... hang up the phone. If you know you can do both... who cares... I will talk on the phone when I drive... it still requires a little thing called paying attention and I have mastered how to do both.
10. THOU SHALT NOT TAILGATE.
This is how I got my very first ticket when I was 17. If someone is on your tail.. that means you are going too slow and you need to immediately GET OVER. This isnt rocket science people... recognize the signs and do us all a favor.
Meriel my sister in law has contributed a few more commandments. Here they are
I would like to add to the list:
11. Thou shalt not rubber neck when there is a cop on the other side of the freeway pulling someone over.
12. Thou shalt not rubber neck altogether.
13. Thou shalt not slow down at slight curves. (the centrifugal force isn't going to throw you off the road, it's okay you can still go at least 65)
14. Thou shalt not block people out when they turn their blinkers on. (It's like you're telling them your next move and they refuse to let you in.)
15. Thou shalt not drive slow in the left lane, btw that is the fast lane.
16. Thou shalt not even get on the freeway if you are carrying an uncovered load of dirt or rocks.
Thanks Meriel... great contribution!
In conclusion... take responsibility for your driving... if you are a terrible driver and you know it... recognition is half the battle get some help bad Utah drivers! Click here for help!