Thursday, June 7, 2007

Lies told to kids

I was just thinking the other day about things that parents tell their kids to keep them from getting into trouble or prevent them from getting hurt. Sometimes its a positive thing to promote imagination and wonder like Santa Clause and his reindeer. Think about all the songs we sung about Santa and the elves and his flying reindeer... as an adult it's not logical but as a kid, it made perfect sense. As I have grown up... I began to understand more and think logically about these things, one lie however didn't come to me until I was in my last couple years of High School. My Mom used to tell me and my brother Bart that those grease stains on the street were where little kids had forgotten to look both ways when crossing the street and were hit by a car. As you can imagine as a kid I was pretty freaked out by this... in fact I remember riding my bike down the street and seeing all these grease spots and thinking... all those poor kids should have been looking both ways! If I would have put deeper thought into this I would have thought every kid in the neighborhood had be hit by a car... in fact, by the amount of grease in front of my house several kids had been hit there! When it finally hit me... I was like.. I know logically those are grease marks from parked cars but, why do I think those are whats left of an unfortunate child???... then I thought of the lie my mom fed me! I wasn't the only one fooled... Bart has told me that he also believed this lie. I know she told us this for our own safety but, I still think its funny that we held on it for so long... this one WAY out lasted Santa!

So I ask... what were you led to believe?

4 comments:

ANDREA said...

I love you, but that's really embarrassing. Get a clue Fransy.

Kim said...

That was something passed down the generations...Urban legend...I too was a believer..get over it Brad..Love Mom

Unknown said...

Guess who told your Mom about grease spots....
Guess who told me?

Love, G.Young

Unknown said...

The above comment was from Grandma Young.

Love You.